Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Was Born This Way

Last year, Chaz Bono started outwardly living his life as a man debuting a name and gender change to the public. He says:

“I always had this idea that sure, I wish I was a boy...but I wasn’t and so I’d deal with it. There were other lesbians that felt that way and so that was part of that community,” he explained. “But then I realized that that wasn’t being a lesbian at all, that’s being transgendered.” Nonetheless, he still held on to that realization for years before deciding to do something about it.

"For me, it was about how I was perceived in the world," he said. "I wanted all of this [gesturing to his body] to match how I feel on the inside...I don’t doubt that I was born this way."

Here's a recent article on Chaz.....Chaz Bono: I don't doubt I was born this way.

Have any of your dealt personally with someone going through a gender identity search? How have you dealt with it? How are they perceived publicly?

How would you feel if your son or daughter came to you saying they thought they were the wrong gender?

For me, I would always want to support my daughters, but I would be concerned about how the public would react. Unfortunately, I think as a nation we don't know what to do with this kind of change, and perhaps aren't prepared for these issues. Tough one!

What do you all think?

Faith xo

No comments:

Post a Comment